Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

this girl's korean diary: Namsan Tower


As part of sharing my travel to korea, I decided to proceed by featuring 3 of my favorite spots in a post. However, I thought that it would be a waste to compress such beauties in a single article to I'm doing 3 instead.  

First up: 


Namsan tower/Seoul Tower/ N Seoul Tower





Height:
Above sea level: 479.7m/1.574ft
Seoul Tower: 236.7m/777ft
Monument structuture 135.7m/445ft  +steel monument 101/332ft

Time for 1 rotation: 48 minutes




a view from the top facing North Korea



elevator ride up the tower feeling like a 3d experience less the glasses.


This tower has been a landmark of South Korea since it has been built and open to the public in the year 1980. The reason why I loved the place so much is that aside from the beautifully built structure, it is the best place to take a look at the entire city that I am visiting. 


15-20 minutes what what it took for us to reach the tower. Endurance was a challenge in that hiking was somewhat tiring. However, I was too pumped up sight-seeing to notice my exhaustion. Here were some of the pictures I took on our way up:




By day, especially during weekends, locals come to the place to exercise and walk their pets as well. Most of the flock are adults and the elderly. This becomes different at night time where youngsters transform the area into one of the perfect dating spots in the city.





A koreanovela shooting. I think it was about gangsters meeting up for some grim plots. No big stars were there though. Sigh... 





A chirstmas tree made of locks with inscriptions on them.This was one of the trees placed on the base of the tower. Cute pieces aren't they? I wanted to get one for myself, but that just couldn't be. haha!




Aside from the restaurants and observatory in the tower, another popular spot located in it is the TEDDY BEAR MUSEUM. So, going there was really like hitting two birds with one stone. 

The Teddy Bear Museum N Seoul Tower, different from that in Jeju Island, is an innovative showcase telling the story of how Seoul developed overtime to be the capital of Korea using teddy bears. Teddy bears are built in scenes recreating historic events as well as various aspects of Seoul life.

Quick historical fact on how teddies play a role in an ancient Korean myth. It was said that once a tiger and a bear pleaded to Hwanung, son of Hwanin ('Lord of Heaven') to make them human. Hwanung gave them 20 cloves of garlic and a bundle of mugwort, instructing them to eat only this sacred food and remain out of the sunlight for 100 days. The tiger gave up after about twenty days and left the cave. However, the bear remained and was transformed into a woman. This woman, Ungnyeo who had no husband, later prayed beneath a Sindansu, a divine tree for a child and was granted with a son, Dangun Wanggeom who was the founder of Gojeoson, the first Korean kingdom.







one of the panels telling the legend I share above. 




Bear builders... ;p



bears break dancing, neat eh?




With these photos, I hope you liked the place as much as I did, 


Ness <3











No comments:

Post a Comment